Thursday, January 26, 2012

american fuzzy lops

I am a dork. I admit this freely. I spend most of my time on the internet where I can nerd out over things like Harry Potter and LotR and Hunger Games, and whatever other fandom has caught my attention for the moment. But my dorkiness extends beyond the internet. Really, it started at an early age, and it hasn't seemed to have gone away. It's probably only gotten worse.

There is this thing, that a lot of people do, but that the great wide world seems completely ignorant about. That thing is rabbits. Yes, rabbits. People raise them and show them, and love them like they're little dogs. They are so cute and each has its own personality that either makes you love them or hate them. I've had rabbits that were the sweetest things ever, and then there was the one who decided he hated me for no reason (he didn't last long in our barn to say the least).

This hobby, though (and believe me, it's a hobby. You can't make real money breeding rabbits, maybe enough to break even if you're lucky and have amazing stock), it's weirdly isolating outside of it's own bubble. Rabbit people are awesome, but they're the only ones who will ever understand what you're talking about or why you love it as much as they do. None of my friends get it, and they just think it's this weird, cute personality habit of mine or something.

At the moment, I have no rabbits. I haven't had any since I was a senior in high school. We had to sell out when my parents moved and I went to college. Selling Eclipse, my baby, the only fuzzy lop I'd had since the day he was born, was hard. I'm sure he's dead now, but I still miss him.

Eclipse is the broken chestnut (on the far left). This picture was taken when they were about 3 weeks old. The other two are a broken black and a seal (which is not a recognized color in the ARBA)

It's hard not to have rabbits anymore. I mean, American Fuzzy Lops do take more work than other rabbits since you have to groom them twice a week generally, but they're so sweet. Eclipse would always come right up to me whenever I went out to see him.

This is probably all just coming up because there's a rabbit show this weekend and I want to go, but I also don't have any real reason to since at shows, you either show or you shop, and I can't have a rabbit right now, so it'd just be torture looking at all these things I can't buy. Ugh. I suppose I should focus on something else, but I can't help thinking about it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment