Saturday, March 19, 2011

sometimes I clean

Sometimes I clean. Sometimes I decide I need to clean everything in my room/apartment/house/wherever I happen to be at the time (including but not limited to offices at work and refrigerators, especially the big walk-in ones). I usually only do this on days where I am so utterly bored that it's the only thing left to do. Oh, sure, I could be writing or editing one of the many crappy first-drafts I have in My Documents, or perhaps I could even be doing something productive like planning my future, but I'm lazy and apathetic, so cleaning is what I do.

The problem with cleaning is that once you do it... you can't do it again until things get dirty.


Last Tuesday, I cleaned. I took every single paper in my apartment and went through them all, tossing the old receipts from grocery stores and pamphlets I have accumulated since moving here, pamphlets on theatre productions, things to do in town, all of which have dépassé'd. I gathered all traveling things (train tickets, entrance tickets, business cards) and stuck them in individual envelopes for when I get back and scrapbook this year together.

I found a map of Lille, which I forgot I had. I also found a map of Arras, which I also forgot I'd had. I found a map of Paris... which I'd also forgotten about. I tend not to bring maps with me anymore when I go to Lille or Paris. Perhaps that's a sign that I really have integrated into this country. As for Arras, it's so small, you'd have to be a real idiot to get lost here. Then again, some people can get lost inside a paper bag. Me personally, I love maps. I always get a map wherever I go, then circle all the things I want to see, and it serves as my faithful guide for the rest of my trip.

That's not to say I don't get lost, but hey, I'm only human. And besides, the best way to find yourself is to get lost.

My cleaning binges don't happen but a few times a year and they generally keep me busy for a few hours. Lately, I've just been so utterly bored. It's not like anything has changed either. I'm not seeing less of anyone or more of anyone. Although, I feel like as time grows shorter, less of my teachers are bothering with English. At least one or two each day comes up to me and says, "je ne fais pas d'anglais aujourd'hui." This then leaves me with 45 minutes of nothing to do but read my (really boring) French book. (Luckily, I finished the book so I can move on to more entertaining things like HP4 in French instead).

I've never been very good at entertaining myself - my mother can attest to that. I'm one of those people who will ask for suggestions and then reject them all - my best friend can attest to this. On the other hand, considering how much time I spend alone, I seem to manage quite well. Je me débrouille très bien, as my French friend told me once. Now, if only I me débrouille'd as well in French as I do in English.

Perhaps I'll go brush up on my franglais and do some more cleaning. A tout a l'heure.

No comments:

Post a Comment