Monday, April 4, 2011

even at our swiftest speed, we could not break from the concrete

You may remember November (gosh, that seems so long ago now) when I was writing a novel. Well, needless to say, I haven't finished it yet. In fact, I haven't worked on it since December. At around 60k words, it is only 1/3 of the way done. Boo. It's going to take forever. But that was November. This is April! And April means Script Frenzy!

What is Script Frenzy (screnzy, for short), you ask? Well, it's basically NaNoWriMo in script form. You write a 100 page script in 30 days. It doesn't sound too hard, right? This is my fourth year which means that I have three other screenplays gathering dust on my hard drive, only one of which I think is actually worth anything. This year, though, I've decided to try something different: a TV show.

I've got the whole thing basically outlined for four seasons worth of shows. Of course, that's not helpful at all when I haven't even written the pilot episode. The pilot is what I'm currently working on for screnzy, the pilot and episode two since one episode is only around 40-50 pages.

The problem this year is that I only have two weeks as opposed to the normal 4 weeks. Since the France contract is ending on the 16th, I will be moving out of my apartment here and traveling for the last 3 weeks of my stay in Europe. Therefore, my time is limited. I may not win this year *gasp* - that would be a first. It's funny. I can write a 50k word novel in five days but I can't write a 100 page script in 2 weeks? Well, I can. I've done it before, but lately it's been harder. For some reason, writing scripts is like pulling teeth for me. It's just so much harder with all the dialogue and trying to make it snappy and interesting while still remembering that it has to convey a plot and my characters too.

In other news, I went to Amiens the other day and it's quite a pretty town, much to my surprise. I recommend eating at the potato restaurant by the cannal. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment