Monday, November 1, 2010

I challenge you to a duel!

The gauntlet has been thrown. The proverbial glove has come off the hand and been smacked across a cheek, leaving a smarting red print behind. The flags have been flown. And only one can come in the winner.

I have been challenged by a friend to the Battle of NaNoWriMo 2010.

I accept this challenge.

50k Words. 30 Days. 1 Insane Month.

This will be my fourth year participating in National Novel Writing Month. Last year I wrote two novels. The year before, I self-published my novel. This year... people have placed very high expectations on my head. I'm not sure I can meet them all.

Last night was the official NaNoWriMo kick-off party at La Cantine in Paris. It lasted from 8PM on October 31st, noveling beginning precisely at midnight, and ended at 8AM November 1st. In that span of eight hours of noveling, I wrote a whopping two thousand words. Not a very impressive start. However, it has long been proven that I do my best writing during the mid-afternoon.

As to the Battle of NaNoWriMo, no set prizes have been designated yet. But I have been officially slapped with the white, silk glove. That's not to say I don't fully expect my other NaNo buddies to keep up with me as well as my challenger. Those I have dragged into NaNo with me over the years should do well to remember that it is I who holds the glove now, and a challenge could be waiting to smack you just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment