Sunday, November 28, 2010

It's Harry Freaking Potter

A week after the worldwide release and two days after the French release, I finally saw Harry Potter et les reliques de morts, or the Deathly Hallows. I spent my last few euros to go into Lille and see it in English at the UGC cine cite theater.

Given that I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and have read all the books a lot (I seriously couldn't tell you how many times as I lost track back in 8th grade), and a lot of my friends I've met because of Harry Potter, I obviously have very strong opinions on how the movies should go. Of course, I have been disappointed every time, and every time, my expectations have dropped a little farther so that, by the time we reach the seventh movie, my expectations are low enough that I can almost finally enjoy the movies.

HP7 was the best so far. Most definitely. It was the truest to the book and THANK GOD the actors finally learned how to act. It only took them six movies. The writers finally learned how to write, and the actors learned how to cry. For the first time in six movies, I actually believed Emma Watson when she said her lines. It's no secret I've had big issues with her acting, and Dan's for that matter.

My favorite parts were the Tale of the Three Brothers. The animation was a nice cut from the rest of the film. My other favorite part was the return of Ron and his story about the ball of light. Not gonna lie, I cried. For the first time ever in a Harry Potter movie, I felt like the movie did real justice to a scene. Rupert added emotion behind the words to a point where it certainly needed it.

My biggest issues were the random dropping of information. I understand the need (because they've forgotten to do it the last 6 movies. come on.) but it's still annoying. "Hey, they're Snatchers." "I'm Bill." "He's Mundungus." P.S., where the hell has Kreacher been for the past three movies? Apparently he's just been snuffling around cupboards in the Black house since Sirius died.

My other issue was Wormtail. He didn't die. What exactly happened to him anyway? I was confused there. Also, the reintroduction of Dobby in the beginning. I was sitting there thinking, "Man, he's annoying, and I'm supposed to be sad later when he dies." - Dobby's death was the single time I cried while reading the entire HP saga. Oh, and Voldemort. My god, is he in love with Snape or something? I swear, at the party meeting, Voldemort was like, "Snapey-poo, where have you been, darling? Come sit, I saved you a place right near me so that I may pet your greasy hair as I speak."

But overall, it was good. Even from the first scene with Hermione and her parents, I thought Emma somehow reigned herself in and did a good job. She stopped acting with her eyebrows and her overdramatics finally came in useful. Rupert was brilliant, as always, and I wish the writers would stop acting like he's only there for comic relief. It's too late now, but still. He never gets enough credit. Dan... was better. I didn't cringe in the theater at his acting, so I count it a success.

And Draco, my lovely Draco. Only two lines. Someday you'll have your revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment